Hallowe’en is nearly upon us, but there’s no toothy pumpkins or plastic skellingtons around here ! We do have some old-fashioned horror in the epic Trail of Cthulhu campaign Eternal Lies, now available in PDF – and as a Call of Cthulhu conversion, thanks to Andy Nicholson – find out how he converted it below. Also available in PDF is Owl Hoot Trail, which people have been demanding electronically.
This month, we’ve got a Hallowe’en-themed KWAS for you in the form of ghoulish…well, ghouls. Live a more modern form of horror in Kabul, as described by Jonathan Turner in a “Quick and Dirty” write-up on the city, and be horrified by Ken’s in-depth look at who the real Dracula might be in his Call of Chicago column.
We’ve been updating a lot of the Resources pages on the website with new handouts, charts and maps – we’ve flagged up some of the updates in their own section below. And to finish up, there’s Simon’s View from the Pelgrane’s Nest and some great advice from Robin D. Laws, as well as details of the latest Pelgrane games – and don’t forget the Ashen Stars character generator – available for playtesting.
- Eternal Lies PDF – the linked PDF for the epic Trail of Cthulhu campaign – grab this if the 400-page hardback book was too much for you
- Owl Hoot Trail PDF – brought forward for sale due to popular demand is the PDF of this gritty Clint Eastwood western game, set in a hostile fantasy world
- Hideous Creatures: Ghouls – the ghoulish latest edition of KWAS from the horrific pen of Kenneth Hite
- View from the Pelgrane’s Nest by Simon Rogers, news, new releases and the inside track on all things Pelgrane.
- That Elusive Choice Point - Robin D. Laws explains how to make your players feel like they have choices available to them in your scenario
- The Call of Chicago: 7 Draculas, No Waiting - Kenneth Hite queries who the Dracula at the top of your Conspyramid might be
- Kabul: Not As Quick, Very Dirty – Johnathan Turner tries out a new format for city writeup PDFs using Kabul as a base
- Tell Me Lies, Tell me Sweet Little Lies – Part 1 of Andrew “Tigger” Nicholson’s epic quest to convert Eternal Lies to Call of Cthulhu
- The GUMSHOE SRD - Simon reveals the System Reference Document for making your own GUMSHOE games
- October playtesting – More new Mythos Expedition scenarios for Trail of Cthulhu, including one by our own Robin D. Laws – volunteer here.
Resource Page updates
- Night’s Black Agents Resources page updates – Pedro Ziviani’s breaking down The Zalozhniy Quartet, while Spencer Sanders has done some fillable character sheets
- New Eternal Lies Resources – An FAQ, interactive map, Call of Cthulhu conversion and some NPC sheets for Eternal Lies ***MAY CONTAIN GAME SPOILERS!***
- Trail of Cthulhu Resources page updates - Tony Williams has been hard at work updating his character sheets and Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu
- Fear Itself Resource page update – Spencer Sanders has revised Sune Nødskou’s Fear Itself character sheet
- The Archmage Engine 13th Age SRD – The long-awaited System Reference Document for 13th Age
- The Dragon Empire – Through A Mirror, Darkly - Aaron Roudabush flips the icons around to create a darkly different Dragon Empire
- OSRing 13th Age – ASH LAW brings some Old School Renaissance to 13th Age
- Heritage Feats – Paul Fanning suggests some options for aspects of your character’s heredity that aren’t covered by race or background
- 13 Icons for a Fantasy Victorian Maritime Campaign – Ruven Wolff reskins the 13th Age icons as undead pirates, submarines and Luddite orcs
- Call me Bargle. – Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan talks about Eyes of the Stone Thief, his upcoming 13th Age campaign pack