Pelgrane Press Fire Sale for Chris Huth

Chris Huth has produced excellent art and layout for Pelgrane Press including Ashen Stars, Night’s Black Agents and 13th Age. Last week his apartment suffered extensive damage from a fire. (You can read more news reports here and here.) Luckily, no one was hurt, but he and his partner have lost their home and most of their possessions. His computer and software – the tools of his trade -  and all backup drives have been destroyed with very little chance of recovery. Chris is sleeping in friends’ houses while he searches for somewhere to live.

The Chris Huth Fire Sale

Hard drive after fire damage

Hard drive after fire damageIt’s tough enough being an rpg freelancer and Chris is one of ours, so, until Friday 00:00 GMT, all margin on sales from Pelgrane Press products from the store will go to help Chris get back on his feet. DriveThruRPG will also give their royalty share to Chris on Pelgrane products.100% of the price of download sales, and 50% of all physical sales will go to Chris. This is one step of several that 13th Age creators Fire Opal Media and Pelgrane will be taking to help out.

The sale is over, you can donate direct here:

How might this affect you?

Well, all the layout for 13th Age and templates for future Pelgrane projects are lost. Chris has to start over from scratch with all of these. It will certainly go quicker the second time, but will delay these projects none the less. More details on specific products follow.

13th Age

We have the PDFs for most of the layout – in fact, it’s likely Chris would have finished the whole thing this week if it weren’t for the fire. I’ve uploaded the chapters Chris completed to the download page for pre-orderers – nearly all of them.

However, PDFs are not InDesign files, and the best and most efficient way to reproduce the layout is to start from scratch. Reverse engineering PDFs is not a useful option. So as of right now, I think that 13th Age will be delayed for a month. I am very sorry about this – it’s already taken a lot longer than we expected. I suspect it will be out towards the end of June.

Esoterrorist 2.0 and Gaean Reach

Chris had created layout templates for both of these projects, which will now have to be recreated. This isn’t such a big job, but it’s still a lot of work. I suspect both of these will also be set back by a month. I still hope to have them out by GenCon.

Other projects are unlikely to be affected.

About Chris

Chris Huth originally came to my attention in 2010 when Robin Laws pointed out that a guy in his game group is a talented artist. After a bit of prodding, Chris came up with sample art for Ashen Stars which meshed very well with the art that Jerome created for the setting, and he improved in leaps and bounds.  He then produced all the art and did the layout for the GUMSHOE/Pathfinder mash-up Lorefinder. Most recently he did much of the art and all the layout for Night’s Black Agents. When the layout for 13th Age turned out to be a much bigger challenge than we expected, Chris stepped in to create a layout in InDesign which based on the concept produced by Lee Moyer in PhotoShop. Samples of Chris’s work follow.

layoutthumb

Ashen Stars Art

Nights Black Agents Layout Preview

25 Responses to “Pelgrane Press Fire Sale for Chris Huth”

1. Snickering Imp says:

FYI – The links for “store” and “Pelgrane products” are broken. I think they are meant to be:
    http://www.pelgranepress.com/shop/ (“store”)
    http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=340?src=ChrisHuth (“Pelgrane products” @ drivethru RPG)

They are currently:

2. Damian says:

Simon the URL for the webstore is wrong in this post.

You have:http://pelgranepress.com/store

It should be: http://www.pelgranepress.com/shop/

3. Bigrow says:

That really sucks. Hope for the best for him and his partner. It’s got to be a hard thing to deal with. I can’t conceive of why such a designer whose livelihood is stored on a disc wouldn’t have offsite backup but oh well.

4. Chris G says:

Your “store” and “Pelgrane Product” links aren’t working.

Best of luck to Chris.

5. Ryan says:

Chris, I’m so sorry to hear about this catastrophe! I hope your life gets back to normal very soon.

P.S. to Simon — I downloaded the files, but Chapter 3 Races seems to be missing. Do I already have it and not realize it?

• Daryl says:

I don’t have Chapter 3 either. If its also missing and we have to wait, no worries – recovering from a house fire is a lot more important.

6. Shane Mangus says:

This is sad news indeed. Chris is a great guy, and an equally talented artist. I have been trying to spread the word about the fire sale as much as I can. Let’s hope it somehow helps him get up and running again. Thanks, Simon, for doing this for Chris.

7. Marcelino says:

Oh jeez I hope he’s alright. I don’t care about my book being delayed at all. It would such to lose everything like that and to lose all your work on top of it is even worse. I’m glad he isn’t hurt and will buy what I can to support him. I’ll post stuff on Facebook. And Google +. Gamers standing by Gamers. Will get that done.

8. Antonio says:

Esoterrorist 2 bought… I was waiting for an excuse… Sadly that this was the excuse… The most important thing is that they’re well and can fight back!

Good luck

9. Michael Holland says:

I hope he and his partner get back on their feet soon. I cannot imagine what they are going through.

As others have said and I will echo I am not worried about a delay. This tragedy takes priority and I don’t mind waiting. Thank you for the heads up.

10. George says:

Thank God they’re ok. Thanks for doing the professional thing and sending an update, but I don’t think anyone will be worried about the delay, our thoughts are with Chris and his family. What you guys are doing is very thoughtful, I’m sure people will want to help out any way they can.

11. George says:

Assuming Chris is ok with it, would it be possible to make a post with his paypal account? So that folks can show their support this way too.

12. Garrett says:

What awful news. Chris does great work and I wish him and his partner a quick recovery from this horrible misfortune.

13. Al W says:

My thoughts are with Chris and his partner; what rotten luck! Hope everything works out.

14. Michael Daumen says:

It’s gratifying to see the Pelgrane community band together to help a great artist and good guy.

15. [...] Afortunadamente, no ha habido que sufrir daños personales, aunque lógicamente al pobre de Chris Hutch esto no le habrá hecho ninguna gracia. Podéis ver la noticia aquí. [...]

16. GhostWolf69 says:

With Regards to 13th Age Pre Order and the Fully Laid Out PDF’s:

Is it just me that can find only 7 out of 9 PDF chapters on the order page? Everywhere I’m told I should be able to grab all but 1 chapter… but I’m lacking 2 chapters. What am I missing?

/wolf

17. Good day Im wondering if I can use this article in one of my blogs if I link back to you? Thanks

18. dentists in Aspen Hill

19. Pretty portion of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing for your augment or even I success you get right of entry to consistently fast.