Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorFabrice
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2012 edited

Greetings to the 13th Age team

I have downloaded the Escalation Edition v4 and I am having lots of fun creating characters; however, I think I found some inconsistencies in the document:

P. 75 (customization note): Familiar is implied as not being a Sorcerer talent, while the Sorcerer class section lists Familiar as a Sorcerer talent.

p. 76 (table): base MD for wizard listed as 11; on page 156 it is listed as 12.

On another subject, I am quite excited by the free form rules for rituals. Would it be possible to add some guidelines regarding the range or scope of the effects per tier?

Regards,
    Fabrice.
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2012

Please feel free to post any other errata or similar comments here.
    • CommentAuthorPythagoras
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012

Sorry for cluttering this thread with the Ability discussion as it's not really errata. I started a new thread with a more complete proposal.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012

Errata:

The book has contradictory numbers related to Icon Relationships.
    Page 8: "Each PC has relationships with one, two, or three icons."
    Page 13: "Each player character has relationships with two to four icons."
    Page 34: "Define your character’s relationships with one to three icons."

Since the real answer depends on how many relationship points you have (based on level) and how you spent them it seems like:

• Page 34 is correct since it's speaking about new 1st level characters.
    • Page 8 and 13 can't make any assumptions on level so they should probably say "Each PC has a relationship with one or more icons".
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012

Unless anyone objects, I'm going to remove non-errata posts from this thread.
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012

Errata:

The Barbarian's level table is missing the parenthesis around "7 + CON" in the Total Hit Points column. Otherwise Barbarians get jipped on hit points as they currently get "7 + (CON * X)" instead of "(7 + CON) * X". All the other classes have the correct parenthesis "(X + CON) x Y".
    • CommentAuthorMaph
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012

Errata:

Page 35, Armour Class for 1st level characters.
    In step 2 it lists Dex, Con, and Wis as the three abilities that the middle of which would determine one's AC modifier. Then, in the example given below, it lists Dex, Con, and Int as the three abilities.
    Errata:

It seems as though Opportunity Attacks have no action type (Are they an Interrupt once a round action or once a turn action like 4E?).

I couldn't find rules on how multi attacks work on groups (in 4E, this was multiple attack rolls, one damage roll).
    •  
      CommentAuthortbaker
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2012

Eratta:

On page 253, in the sidebar, the sentence that starts with, "We contributed to such lists" seems to need editing.

On page 254, under Koru Pots, is the trail a proper noun? Should it be capitalized? If not, should it be plural possessive? I believe the end of the sentence should read "a behemoth's feet," rater than "the behemoth's feet." If more than one behemoth was affected by the collapse, then it should be plural possessive: "the behemoths' feet."
    • CommentAuthorMaph

Errata:

Page 135, the first sentence in the Epic feat for Improved Sneak Attack says "One battle day". It seems it should say "One battle per day".
    • CommentAuthortomjscott

Errata:

One Page 176 it states the following:

"Like weapon attacks, spell attacks add your level to the attack roll, plus any magical implement bonuses you might have."

However, if you look at spells that are attacks, it says to add the "Spell Level" not the character level. Since all the spells are worded this way then I assume the text on Page 176 is in error and should be corrected.
    • CommentAuthorAdam Dray
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2012

Edits for the Introduction and first two chapters.

INTRODUCTION: GLOSSARY

Close quarters spell -- refers to "attacks of opportunity," but should refer to "opportunity attacks"

Disengage -- "your" should be "you're"

Tier descriptions (adventure, champion, epic) should also reference their environments; also, there is no entry for "tier"

Consider defining "natural" (as in "natural 20," "natural odd roll," etc.)

Mod -- "all that character" should be "all the character"

Consider defining "magic item" since it means something special in 13th Age (different kinds, etc.)

Quick action -- ought to say a bit more, like examples of what you can accomplish with one

Recovery -- refers to "con bonus" but should refer to "con mod" (where else have you used "bonus" instead of "modifier" to refer to an ability mod?

CHAPTER 1: ICONS

The Crusader's allies section mentions the Great Gold Wyrm as an enemy. Should that be moved to enemies or should the relationship between them be clarified?

The Great Gold Wyrm's "The True Danger" section refers to "its battle" but should be "his battle."

CHAPTER 2: CHARACTER RULES

Combat Stats / First-level hit points -- "modifierto" should be "modifier to"

When Relationships Fail: Random Icon Rolls -- "publically" should be "publicly"

Short List of Possible Backgrounds -- mentions monks (paragraph 6) and probably oughtn't

Background / Skill Advancement (sidebar) -- Sorcerer's rule is called a "Kicker" not a "kick starter"

Gear -- Economy & Price Lists -- ten / 10 / 10 begs consistent treatment

Coins of the Empire -- "care less their coinage" should be "care less about their coinage"

Equipment Price Guide -- need consistency between "travelling" and "traveling" (pick one)
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2012

Thank you so much for your help. We are fixing all of these - so keep them coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthortbaker
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012

In Chapter 8, Necropolis is described as the largest island in the Midland Sea at the time of the Wizard King. In the Omen entry, it states that the island that is now Omen was twice the size of the landmass that is now called Necropolis prior to the living dungeons surfacing. If Necropolis was the largest island at the time of the Wizard King, then Omen couldn't have been twice as large back then.
    • CommentAuthorOlfrick
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012

Based on the EEv4...
    In the Icons entry for TheThree it says that the Wizard King killed the White.
    In the entry for Moonwreck (and a couple of other places?) it says that the Great Gold Wyrm did it.

Who is the real murderer? Is this the early ground work for a Gumshoe crossover? (Or was it the Prince of Shadows in the Library with the Candlestick?)
    • CommentAuthorJuris
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012 edited

Posted By: SimonPlease feel free to post any other errata or similar comments here.

Here's one:

p. 100:
    The first invocation used by you and your allies in a battle takes effect, subsequent invocations in the same battle are ignored.

It is also a bit unclear what the effect of a shield is. I assume it is +1 AC - but the way you list base AC for each class is a bit confusing.

p.135 Sneak attack - all other sneak attack dice are 1d10 so why 1d8 initially? Is this a typo?
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2012

All page numbers and references in this thread should now refer to v5 of the 13th Age. EE customers can download this new version from their order page, and entitled Kickstarter backers will get an email shortly.
    • CommentAuthorJesterOC
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012 edited

V05TTT-
    Page 112 - Under Fighter Talent suggestions, Armor talent referenced (was renamed to Heavy Warrior)
    "You might also want Armor and Tough as Iron." should read
    "You might also want Heavy Warrior and Tough as Iron"
    V5. Page 194 under Center Stage? "It could be there (their) one unique thing that takes center stage."
    • CommentAuthormattgwinn
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012

I noticed the Class Bonus to ability score is only shown on the class specific character sheets, but not in the class overview. It should really be in both places, because we completely missed it when making characters and had to go back and recalculate.

,Matt
    On page 196, second column it says "Example 1: The heroic-level party had arrived in Drakkenhall to look for a black-dragon monk."

There is no heroic-level.
    • CommentAuthorOlfrick
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2012

V5 Page 48 it says in "Assigning Background Points" that the Rogue gets 12 points.
    V5 Page 50 it says "fighters have half as many background points as rogues" (Fighters get 6 points in the table)
    V5 Page 80 "Starting Stats for First Level Characters" Rogues are listed as getting 10 points.
    • CommentAuthorAdam Dray
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012

If you have an ability score less than 9 and thus get a penalty, does that penalty double and triple when applying it to damage at champion and epic tiers?

For example, a 2nd level fighter with strength 8 does 2d8-1 damage with his longsword. When he levels up to 5th (champion tier), does he deal 5d8-2 damage now? When he levels up to 8th (epic tier), does he deal 8d8-3 damage now?
    • CommentAuthorAdam Dray
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012 edited

Under Sorcerer spells, check naming consistency: Breath of the White [Dragon] vs. Breath of the Green and Breath of the Black.

Sad not to see Breath of the Red and Breath of the Blue, for completeness. EDIT: Oh, they're listed at the end as to-dos.
    "Is comprised of" should, in the instances I've seen, be changed to either "is composed of" or "comprises."
    Sorcerer features says, "All sorcerers share four general class features: Access to Wizardry, Dancing Lights, and Gather Power. Breath Weapon, Chain, and Random Energy are keywords used in sorcerer spells."

To us, that looks like six features. Or three features, and three other keyword-related things that are something other than "features".
    •  
      CommentAuthorbss
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012

EEv5 p.184 has conflicting statements on when you die. The actual rules say you die after failing four death saves, the Optional Meaningful Death Rule section makes it sound like it's only three. If I'm succeeding on my history check, I think that OMDR hasn't been updated since a change from three failures to four in the general rule?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbss
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012

Ditto for p.218, "Failing four last gasp saves in a battle..." vs. "...does not count against your three total..." in the following paragraph.
    On page 131 under the Fey Queen's Enchantments talent, "Adventurer Feat:" is written twice.
    On page 133 under the Level 2 animal companion it says "normal damage" while all the other stat blocks just say "damage".
    • CommentAuthorSimon
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012

Any comments after this post must refer to the Escalation Edition v6. Please check your corrections above and make sure they have been incorporated.
    • CommentAuthorDekar
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012

Page 179 Charm Person is Charisma based for the wizard too? Kinda strange considering Wizard gets Int or Wis boost, but Wis is used for nothing.
    • CommentAuthorJuris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012 edited

Do Elves not have a racial ability? (p. 73) -v6

Never mind there are three categories of elves :)
    • CommentAuthorJesterOC
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012

Page 161.
    Burning Hands does not list a Miss effect. I would assume it should be like the other At-Will Attacks and be Damage equal to your level.
    • CommentAuthorOlfrick

Page 184:
    On invisibility:
    attack without fear of becoming invisible
    Should be:
    attack without fear of becoming visible
    • CommentAuthorOlfrick
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited

Page 189:
    In the last para dealing with stacking bonuses:
    "nor can you can't stack bonuses"

Cyclic Initiative:
    "if the combat only has a couple monsters" -> "if the combat only has a couple of monsters"

[Edit: This isn't an error but on page 191 am I the only person thinking "these Wizards are very small, those Wizards are far away"?]
    • CommentAuthorJuris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited

Clarification

Not sure the description on p.80 is enough to describe how spells work, especially for people used to 3e or 4e spell progression. I really don't like how spells are 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th. Please clarify there are five spell levels (I figured it out but it really threw me). Also, I would suggest giving examples of what spells a 5th level cleric has - "A fifth level cleric can chose 2 third and 4 fifth level spell slots, which she can fill with any spell from the cleric list. She can also use her heal class feature."
    Maybe give another example for Wizards just to show that Wizards don't have a 'spellbook'.
    Finally, restate that you can change your spells with each full heal up under a heading 'changing spells' instead of 'spells' on p.81.

Stuff like this is also very confusing (description of Force Salvo Wizard Spell):

Force Salvo
    Ranged spell
    Daily
    Targets: One or more nearby or far away enemies (see below)
    Special: The spell creates a number of force bolts equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier. You must target a different creature with each bolt; any extras can’t be used.
    Attack: Intelligence + Level vs. PD
    Hit: 4d10 force damage.
    5th level spell 7d10 damage.
    7th level spell 10d12 damage.
    9th level spell 3d6 x 10 damage.

So can you use it at 1st or 3rd level?
    Force Salvo is listed under 3rd level spells which means you can use it at 3rd level but not 1st.
    • CommentAuthortomjscott

I think I'm finally understanding what the following text means, but I have to say that it took reading it a bunch of times before it finally sunk in:

Page 235
    When a monster makes an opportunity attack it uses one of its melee attacks but only rolls for one attack if that attack action includes multiple attacks; in other words, a monster that normally attacks twice as part of its standard action only makes one of those attacks as an opportunity attack.

I had previously submitted feedback on the previous wording for this. I see it has been updated, but I was initially as confused as ever. I think there is still one unanswered question. If a monster uses one of its melee attacks to perform an opportunity attack then does he sacrifice his melee attack in favor of the opportunity attack? The whole reason I ask is because Opportunity Attacks are supposed to be taken as Free Actions usually on the other guy's turn. So then why do monsters use one of their melee attacks for this purpose if it's free? And if they do have to use their own melee attack as an opportunity action then don't they sacrifice their melee attack on their own turn to do it? If not, then why all the confusing wording to begin with? At least that's how I'm reading this.
    It's simply a matter of monsters not having a specific attacked labeled "basic attack" in their stat block the way 4E does and so the explanation needs to be more wordy than it should be. The rules are the same as for PCs: the monster makes one attack as a free action.
    • CommentAuthorOlfrick
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited

Page 85:
    Barbarian Basic Attacks:
    "barbarians use a basic for almost every attack they make"

Page 86:
    Building Frenzy:
    Inconsistent "Deal+ 1d4" / "Deal +1d4"

Page 89:
    Bard Icon suggestions:
    bards could be connected to almost any of the icons

Page 49:
    GM sidebar:
    I made a previous comment about the comparison of Rogue and Fighter background points. Here the text has been changed, but to my reading the phrase "The fact that fighters have almost half as many background points as rogues" implies that fighters have less than half the background points of a rogue, when in fact they have over half the number.

I'd like to point out that the word "armour" is spelt wrong throughout, but I doubt I'll get anywhere with that one.

[Edit: I found another case of "most" used where "almost" would be better on page 37 in the section dealing with no combat bonuses for unique things. I suspect that there will be more and that Acrobat's "find" function is the best way to find them all.]
    •  
      CommentAuthorEvenglare
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012

Armor and armour are both acceptable spellings of the word...
    • CommentAuthorAdam Dray
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012

Can a character use a magic item of a higher tier?

For example, can a 3rd level character use an Epic-tier magical sword?

In my own campaign, I ruled that each tier of difference counts as an additional magic item--that is, counting towards the number of items to which the PC can attune without problems. If a 2nd level character gets an Epic-tier magical sword, that counts as 3 magic items, meaning the item's quirk takes over the character's personality. (This caused a serious problem when the party gifted three Epic-tier magic items to the Dwarf King's daughter, and suddenly she was overcome with the greed and ambition of the items--which were previously owned by the 12th Age's Dwarf King...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorchaosfang

Posted By: Adam DrayCan a character use a magic item of a higher tier?

For example, can a 3rd level character use an Epic-tier magical sword?

In my own campaign, I ruled that each tier of difference counts as an additional magic item--that is, counting towards the number of items to which the PC can attune without problems. If a 2nd level character gets an Epic-tier magical sword, that counts as 3 magic items, meaning the item's quirk takes over the character's personality. (This caused a serious problem when the party gifted three Epic-tier magic items to the Dwarf King's daughter, and suddenly she was overcome with the greed and ambition of the items--which were previously owned by the 12th Age's Dwarf King...)
    Personally I see no problem with it; after all, in just about every edition of D&D you could throw in a +6 Vorpal Holy Avenger (or something to that degree) at a level 1 PC, if the DM considers it appropriate. I also see no reason to add any rules pertaining to attuning to higher-than-your-own-tier equipment unless it's really your thing.
    Page 153: Sorcerer Weapons - for heavy or martial melee weapons it just lists "1d8 (-2)" and "1d10 (-2)", whereas other classes explicitly list "(-2 atk)" to clarify that the penalty is applied to attack rolls.

Posted By: Adam DrayIn my own campaign, I ruled that each tier of difference counts as an additional magic item--that is, counting towards the number of items to which the PC can attune without problems. If a 2nd level character gets an Epic-tier magical sword, that counts as 3 magic items, meaning the item's quirk takes over the character's personality.

Isn't that already part of the rules? On page 336 below the sidebar, it says pretty much this: "...but items one tier above you count as two items, and the overpowering personality of epic items makes them count as three items if you are an adventurer tier character."
    •  
      CommentAuthorchaosfang

Posted By: WhatGravitasOn page 336 below the sidebar, it says pretty much this: "...but items one tier above you count as two items, and the overpowering personality of epic items makes them count as three items if you are an adventurer tier character."
    Ooh didn't notice that :) thanks for the heads up :D
    • CommentAuthorAdam Dray

Posted By: chaosfang

Personally I see no problem with it; after all, in just about every edition of D&D you could throw in a +6 Vorpal Holy Avenger (or something to that degree) at a level 1 PC, if the DM considers it appropriate. I also see no reason to add any rules pertaining to attuning to higher-than-your-own-tier equipment unless it's really your thing.

Well sure, but this thread is about understanding the intent of the designers.
    • CommentAuthorAdam Dray

Thanks, WhatGravitas! I didn't see that the last time I read the rules, but must have internalized it from prior readings.
    • CommentAuthorOlfrick
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012

Page 65, 1st sentence, discussing gear.
    Should that say "In 13th Age, we cut to the chase and give you your combat gear based on your class."?
    The context of the preceding and following text is talking about gear and not about stats (and earlier d20 games have combat stats based on class anyway).

To pitch in on the magic items discussion my initial skim-read of this section (I hadn't read it properly) put me in mind of something more like Earthdawn, from the point of view of magic items progressing with the character (they work harder for a more worthy bearer) giving a +1 to a +3 bonus based on the tier of the PC. Upside, this allows a character to bear his grandfather's sword throughout his career without it being either overpowered at low level or underpowered at high level. Maybe this is one to house rule in anyway (perhaps with a short quest at tier change to convince the item to try harder)? Given the handwaving of loot and monies and the personalities of magic items it should fit in quite well.
    • CommentAuthorShinya
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012

Page 207, combat example:

“Tallos raises his wand and mumbles out a few arcane words, firing an energy bolt of lightning at the savage chomping on Ryisha.”

Energy bolt should be replaced by Ray of Frost and all damage references to it in the example should be "cold" instead of "lightning".